The District Legal Services Authority, Williamnagar has been established under the aegis of the Meghalaya State Legal Service Authority. The District & Sessions Judge is the Chairman and the Chief Judicial Magistrate is the Secretary of the District Legal Services Authority, East Garo Hills.
Prior to the separation of the Judiciary from the Executive, civil and criminal powers were exercised by the Deputy Commissioner and the Assistants to the Deputy Commissioner. There are at present 3 police stations, 1 out post and 1 check post, falling under the jurisdiction of the District. The Court of the District and Sessions Judge, East Garo Hills District, Williamnagar was established and jointly inaugurated on 27th June 2014 by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Dr. Mukul Sangma and the Chief Justice of the High Court of Meghalaya, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Prafulla C Pant. The courts try cases as empowered under the relevant laws defining their territorial and pecuniary jurisdiction, etc. Smti. Gasalynn Rani was appointed as the first District and Sessions Judge, Shri. Febroneous Silkam Sangma as the first Chief Judicial Magistrate, Smti. Daphira Sohtun as the first Munsiff and Judicial Magistrate First Class and Smti. Nathe M.Momin as the first Judicial Magistrate First Class of the District.
The Court of the District & Sessions Judge, East Garo Hills, Williamnagar
ADDRESS & CONTACT
Office of the District and Sessions Judge
East Garo Hills Distrct,
Williamnagar – 794 111
Civil Jurisdiction: The Courts of the District Judge, Munsiff and others try Civil Cases arising from the entire area of East Garo Hills District. The courts come under the Code of Civil Procedure 1908 and other laws defining their territorial and pecuniary jurisdiction, etc.
Criminal Jurisdiction: In criminal matters, the Courts of the Session Judge, Chief Judicial Magistrate and other Judicial Magistrates are set up under the Criminal Procedure Code 1973. The Courts of the Chief Judicial Magistrate and Judicial Magistrates try criminal cases arising from the entire area of the East Garo Hills District.